Georges Emile EBERHARD, born in Saint-Imier in 1865.
After his apprenticeship and aged only 22 he set up in 1887 in La Chaux-de-Fond his own watchmaking workshop; as his business steadily increased, he decided to concentrate on precision timekeepers starting to produce a new pocket chronograph.
In 1919 his sons, Georges and Maurice, joined the Company and recognizing that the future belonged to wristwatches they started, in that year, to produce their first wrist chronograph; a single button model developed for many years as flagship of the Company.
In 1930 Eberhard & Co. launched its first wristwatch with automatic winding and in the same year the Company became official supplier to the “Royal Italian Navy”.
In 1935, the Company introduced its first two button chronograph, that enabled repeated stops and starts.
In 1938, where available chronographs with 30 minutes and 12 hours elapsed-time and in 1939 the ultimate in chronographs with a split-seconds version with 12 hours counter.
In 1940, the Brand introduced a 16-ligne Eberhard 1600 movement - based on Valjoux calibre-.
With the distinctive feature of a small slide at four o’ clock that blocks or frees the chronograph button.
In 1942 Maurice Eberhard became the sole owner of the Company.
In 1962, after the accidental death of his daugther, he retired from the activity and Eberhard Co. was acquired by other investors.